WOOLF were invited to a most elegant and refined lunch by Smallwood Architects in the Wolseley’s private dining room which overlooks the chic restaurant and bar below. The restaurant and bar are always full and there are usually a number of tourists having a cream tea at any one time. This extraordinary building is always busy no matter what time of day you drop in, yet the space is very peaceful.
The building was originally commissioned by Wolseley Motors Limited in 1921, who appointed the architect William Curtis Green for the design and build. He drew on Venetian and Florentine influences, adding Eastern exotic touches which were fashionable at the time. In July 2003, Chris Corbin and Jeremy King secured the site and restoration and design renovation was overseen by the fabulous David Collins.
The interior architecture is incredibly detailed from the high gloss lacquered Chinese inspired gold joinery to the refined detailed metal work. Geometric tile work and gorgeous bathroom accessories add opulence to this beautiful space. The whole space is opulent yet restrained